Guangzhou Regulations on Tobacco Control has officially become effective on September 1, 2010. The new edition of “Guangzhou Smoke Control Regulations” was issued on June 19 of 2012 and came into effect on July 26 of 2012.
Under the regulations, smoking is banned in 12 categories of public places, including the premises of national agencies and public institutions; in such places, no smoking room or area is set up either.
Smoking is restricted in four other categories of public places, including catering establishments which have a floor area of more than 150 square meters or over 75 seats; in these place, smoking rooms or areas are set up.
Non-smoking public places include:
- Indoor areas in public buildings (administrations)
- Indoor areas in hospitals, indoor and outdoor areas in women and children's care centers, children's hospitals
- Indoor and outdoor areas in kindergartens, schools, children's palaces
- Indoor areas at education and training venues as well as places for teenager activities
- Indoor areas in cinemas, concert halls, libraries, exhibition halls, science centers, cultural centers, museums, art galleries, memorial halls, ect.
- Shopping malls and bookstores
- Indoor areas in financial, postal and communication places
- Tickets offices, indoor platforms and inside public buses, couches, taxis, ferries
- Auditoriums, sporting venues, indoor gymnasiums
- Indoor hotel lobbies, training centers and holiday resorts
- Escalators and elevators
- Other non-smoking areas according to law and regulations
Restricted smoking areas include:
- Restaurants of over 150 square meters or with over 75 seats
- Entertainment and gaming venues
- Indoor work spaces
- Waiting rooms of public buses, taxis, couches, metro, ferries, trains and airplanes
- Other restricted smoking areas according to law and regulations
All materials marked with "source: English.gz.gov.cn" on this website (including but not limited to text, photographs, audio and video materials) are the copyrighted property of Guangzhou International (the official website of Guangzhou Municipality). Without prior authorization from Guangzhou International, any media, website, organization or individual shall not transmit, interlink, distribute or republish such materials in any form. Any media and website authorized to republish such materials shall mark them with "source: Guangzhou International (English.gz.gov.cn)". Infringement of these copyrights will result in legal action.